Thursday, May 3, 2012

We had a great speaker at our last MUMS meeting. Karen Hossink, author of Confessions of an Irritable Mother. She was transparent in her thoughts towards motherhood and the frustrations we face mostly because of our selfishness. She recommended the book Growing Your Faith by Jerry Bridges. In her books she spoke about reaching toward holiness. It just so happens that a friend brought over a book by Jerry Bridges called The Pursuit of Holiness. I have just started it. It seems that God is constantly working on me to be a better mother and I am trying. I have found that the closer I am to the Lord...meaning that I am reading the Bible and meditating on what it says, praying, and just focusing on the Lord that I am a better mother and person. I make a greater effort to put my own wants and needs aside and focus on what God wants me to do, which is to be patient with my children and consistent in discipline. God will provide all that I need, so I do not need to worry about it. God is so good to us. Something that I have struggled with is wanting to make a difference for His kingdom and I know that raising Godly children is my priority and my current focus, but I am selfish and I felt like I wasn't making a difference. As I focus on God and where He wants me: in the home with my children, God has put people in my path that I have been able to share the gospel with. When our focus is where it should be He is able to use us for His glory. How awesome is that!

No comments: